Sunday, July 8, 2007

playing nice

i don’t think i’m too much of an asshole. i’ve been nice to every single one of my chronic pain patients. i didn’t always give them all the pain control they wanted, but i figure if you get into a car accident, you shouldn’t expect to be pain free. that’s just not realistic. and i sure as hell don’t want their sorry ass getting pneumonia, because that would require me to fill out tons of useless paperwork for every day that they’re sitting on their ass getting antibiotics.

it’s weird being called doctor. i haven’t decided yet if this is a sign of respect or sarcastic patronizing, especially since i make no pretense about not knowing what the hell i’m doing. it’s either “let me look up the dosing” or “let me ask my senior”. it’s weird because during med school, i always heard the residents called by their first names. but here they all call me doctor. maybe that’s the way it’s done in these parts.

No comments:

 
Google